What many people don’t realize is that eczema and atopic dermatitis are interchangeable terms for the same condition. Eczema is an immune-mediated inflammation of the skin arising from an interaction of genetic and environmental factors. In simple terms, a foreign object is causing the skin’s barrier and the body’s defense systems to become actively engaged. The primary symptom stemming from this reaction is itching (pruritus) and often can be followed by skin lesions. Also, it is not uncommon for these skin lesions to become infected if not cared for properly.
Common Triggers Include:
- Foods (milk, eggs, soy, wheat, peanuts, fish)
- Airborne Allergens (dust mites, molds, dander)
- Staphyloccus Aureus (common bacteria)
- Topical Products (cosmetics, deodorants, sunscreens)
Diagnosis is determined by history and examination. Over the past 30 years there has been an increase in this condition including a 20% increase seen in children.
Treatment Is Straightforward:
- Moisturizing agents
- Avoiding the allergic/irritant trigger
- Topical corticosteroids or immune modulation
Pawleys Island Compounding Pharmacy can assist with simple or complex treatment regimens. Ask your healthcare provider about treatment options and whether PICP is right for you.