October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and soon you will see pink ribbons, wristbands, and posters everywhere you go. At Pawleys Island Compounding Pharmacy, we want you to be the healthiest version of yourself. So, this month we encourage all women to:
- Get their mammogram
- Be involved in your healthcare
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions
- As more questions- until comfortable with the answers
The commonness of breast cancer points to the conclusion that most people have family or friends in their life that have been diagnosed. Studies show 1 in 8 U.S. women in their lifetime are forecasted to develop invasive breast cancer. With such shocking statistics, there is good news to share. Scientists have determined that by making small changes in your everyday life, you can reduce the risk of being diagnosed with breast cancer. Here are a few of their suggestions:
- Try yoga: Adding at least two sessions of yoga per week can reduce the levels of C-reactive protein and interleukin-6. Both are inflammatory molecules associated with cancer growth.
- Walk each day: Walking for an hour a day reduces fat and excess estrogen (a hormone that grows cancer cells) from your body.
- Get a good night sleep: Aim for 7 hours of sleep per night, you need no less than 6 hours.
- Drink hot tea: Cancer-fighting polyphenols are contained in green and black brewed teas.
- Color up your diet: Add colorful veggies and fruits that are rich in carotenoids to protect your body from free radicals.
- Eat yogurt: The probiotics in yogurt helps metabolize estrogen.
- Dinner the 3-hour difference: To decrease your chance of having high blood sugar which reduces your risk of having breast cancer, you should finish dinner at least 3 hours before going to bed.
- Metal not bottle: To prevent the spurring growth of breast cancer cells, don’t use plastic bottles. Plastic water bottles have been known to contain the toxin BPA, which mimics estrogen in your body.
- Add more activity to your life: To lower the levels of C-reactive protein and prevent weight gain, take the stairs instead of the elevator or park further from the door.
- Replace mayo with avocado: Did you know avocado is full of oleic acid? Oleic acid suppresses the production of a gene known to spur breast cancer cell growth.
Allow us to be a resource for you. For your best health and breast cancer awareness, the entire team at Pawleys Island Compounding Pharmacy suggests more screenings for early detections.